Thursday, November 8, 2007

Scent Association

I just pulled a lovely white cake out of the oven, and the fragrance OVERWHELMED me. Freshly baked cake has got to be one of my all-time favourite smells in the kitchen, right up there with chocolate chip cookies, freshly brewed espresso, or a loaf of homemade bread. It just evokes such wonderful childhood memories for me, ones in which I arrive home from school to find that my mom had been baking for someone's birthday, or maybe just because she craved something sweet (I think I inherited that gene-thanks, mom). Now, don't get me wrong, we didn't eat cake all the time, it was definitely a special treat to have a yummy cake once in a while, but I guess we tend to associate the smell of a delicious baked good with a happy memory or two. I think maybe my desire to bake has something to do with reliving happy memories...wow, I think I just had a Freudian moment!

No comments: