Sunday, February 17, 2008

Playmobil for Luke


My nephew Luke turned 5 on Valentine's Day, and his parents threw him a "theatre-style" birthday. They had rented out an old church that had been converted to a theatre, and invited lots of kids to come and play on stage. The kids brought their dress-up stuff and had a blast dressing up and dancing on stage to fun kiddie music-I even found myself singing along to "Wonder Pets"! Nadine and I had planned to make him a theatre-themed cake, perhaps some tickets with the name of his play on them, but a few weeks ago Luke called me to ask if he could have a Playmobil cake instead. Apparently, he's addicted to Playmobil, as are so many other kids his age, mine included. So, how could I resist the opportunity to indulge his birthday fantasy? I used our own Playmobil animals to decorate this safari-themed cake, and the kids could hardly contain themselves while waiting for him to blow out his candles-hands were reaching for animals, and I feared it may not stay a safari for long!