Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Candy Stripes and Polka Dots




Lilly with two "L"'s turned 2 last week, and her mom asked me to create a cake for her. This was inspired by a wonderful book I turn to often for ideas, called Pretty Party Cakes by Peggy Porschen. She is a fabulous cake designer in the UK, and I find her cakes to be very much "my style". The top tier is a candy striped two-tone pink and white cake, while inside it is dark chocolate with rich chocolate ganache filling. The bottom tier is a bit whimsical, using polka dots in the pink and lime scheme, with tiny dots surrounding the bigger polka dots. It is a banana cake filled with chocolate buttercream-yum! I also did some cookie favors in the shape of birthday presents-two tone pink for the girls, and blue and lime green for the boys. I think it is so fresh and pretty for a little girl's birthday, and I loved it! I think it's one of my favourite colour combos, and I know it's going to get used again...

4 comments:

Natalie said...

We are very impressed Amberlea! You are very talented! Want to come to England for Cameron's 1st birthday to make him a special cake?

xoxox
The Jarvis'

Michelle said...

Amberlea this cake is stunning - I love it. You are very talented. Can't wait for my kids birthdays this year. Awesome work!

Amberlea said...

thanks, all! I appreciate your kind words!

Gail said...

Oh Amberlea!!! Thank-you so much for the most beautiful cake for Lilly. After only asking can you bake me a "PRETTY CAKE" and after only meeting Lilly for the first time, I think you summed her up perfect!! The cake was the talk of her party! Not only was it sooooo cute, it was oh sooooo yummy!! I can hardly wait until my next birthday event to see what you come up with.
You are the best!!!
xo