Friday, October 12, 2007

Channelling Martha Stewart




My dear friend Cheryl is expecting her first baby at the end of this month, and when I heard she based her nursery design on a layout in a Martha Stewart Baby magazine it got me thinking about a cake design I could make her for her shower. I prompted her for pics of her nursery, and when she sent them to me, I realized that I had that issue in my own archive and whipped it out. It really inspired me to create something classic and pretty, without being "babyish" or typical for a baby shower theme. Her nursery colour scheme was a very sophisticated palette of pale turquoisey-green and off-white, so I incorporated that into the base colours of the cake. The upper portion of her walls were stencilled with tree branches and leaves in white, which is where my piped design came from. She painted all the trim and chair rail white, and I used white royal icing to pipe a bead border around the base of each cake. I think it's classic, and very Martha! Check out the finished product, along with a pic of Cheryl looking gorgeous cutting the cake at the shower. Best wishes, Cheryl!

2 comments:

Holly said...

very beautiful... even devin saw the cake and said that's nice!

congrats cheryl... :)

Cheryl said...

Amberlea,
Your entry about my cake brought tears to my eyes - thank you so much. When you first presented the cake to me I was overwhelmed with emotion...about a cake! This is why your cakes are so special. Thank you again and congratulations on a beautiful 'blog'!
Speak to you soon,
Cheryl